September 28, 2009

Farewell to the Farm

Saturday morning my sister and I got up early and headed to Odessa, MO (which is just east of KC) to spend one last night with my nana at her house before she moves to Winfield in a few weeks.  There was still a little bit of packing to be done and a few boxes that needed to be labeled. 

The land where the house sits is the same land my nana grew up on as a child and where her mother lived until she passed away.  Then in the mid-70’s my nana and papa retired and moved from Independence, MO to the farm.  This is the house they built.   

DSC_0171DSC_0122

I took my camera so we could have a few pictures of the house and surrounding land.  I’m hoping to put together a collage to give to her for Christmas.  I tried to take pictures of things that would be meaningful like . . .

the old trash can she has used to burn her trashDSC_0164

the laundry line where she has hung all of her clothes to dry over the years

DSC_0179 

the old well                                            DSC_0129

the cellar                                 DSC_0127

her mailbox                                    DSC_0136

and I couldn’t leave out a picture of the newspaper that she throws out by the road every day for her neighbors to pick up and read when she is done with it.DSC_0175

We had a great “girls” weekend and even managed to go out to dinner and do a little shopping.  Even though it’s going to be hard to say goodbye to the farm it will be so nice to have nana closer so we can see her more often. DSC_0183

No comments: