October 30, 2010

Halloween {Round 1}

This week we began the first of our Halloween festivities.  I had my class party on Thursday.  This year I wasn’t super motivated to dress up, so I just wore a Halloween t-shirt that I had hanging in the back of the closet.  After the party at school we rushed home so I could begin making cupcakes for Grant’s party at school the following day.  Sometimes I wonder why I’m not the mom who just volunteers to bring napkins. 

Step 1 – bake the chocolate cupcakesDSCN2737

Step 2 – use gel paint to write RIP on 36 Milano cookies while the cupcakes are baking and coolingDSCN2738

Step 3 – ice the cupcakes with chocolate icing and sprinkle crushed Oreo’s on top {it’s supposed to be dirt}DSCN2746

Step 4 – insert a grave into each cookieDSCN2750

There was still some leftover cake batter after I made 3 dozen cupcakes so I used the rest of the batter to make a small round cake.  Then I iced a few more cookies . . . and made a graveyard cake to enjoy at home.  Grant thought the only thing missing were some bone shaped candies sticking up out of the dirt.DSCN2752

     While I was baking I put Grant in charge of getting all the accessories together for his “nerd” outfit.  The kids aren’t allowed to wear face paint at school so Grant decided to be a nerd for his party at school and something a bit more scary on Halloween night. 

I laughed so hard when he walked out dressed like this . . .the way he was walking and talking was a hoot!!!

The head room mom really outdid herself.  She had so many fun games planned.  I think the favorite was “hot skull”.  It was played just like “hot potato”.  There was scary music playing and when the music stopped if you had the skull in your hands, or were the last to touch it, you were out.  It was funny to watch the kids throw the skull around the circle as fast as they could.

DSCN2792DSCN2793DSCN2794DSCN2795DSCN2798

They also used markers to turn ping pong balls into eyeballs.  Then they each got to bounce their ball into Halloween baskets to win prizes.  From the looks of things Grant may be a pro at beer pong one day . . . of course he will be 21 before he ever plays a game like that!!!DSCN2799DSCN2801

Here’s the two biggest nerds in 4th grade.  One day they may be sorry they dressed like this and let me take their picture.  They are such good friends . . . it was so much fun seeing them dressed up and being so silly.  DSCN2791

No comments: