July 8, 2010

My First {Rag} Quilt

I have been hard at work all week making my very first quilt. 

It was a very easy project that required very little sewing experience . . . which is great for me!!! 

A friend of mine {Dawn}  made a rag quilt of her own and always brings it to baseball games.  For the past two years I have admired her quilt and she has always told me how easy it was to make. 

So on Monday, afternoon I did a little research online and found some directions, I headed to the fabric store with Grant.  He was such a little trooper!!!  I ended up choosing a denim material as well as three other flannel prints because they don’t fray much and are easy to work with.  I also got my grandma to come stay with me for a few days and she was a big help . . . plus we had lots of fun working on the project.  It also makes my quilt that much more special knowing that she helped me!!!

Here’s grandma hard at work.  She had a little trouble with my machine so she ended up doing most of the work pinning the blocks together while I did the sewing.DSCN1379

After we finished making all of the blocks I arranged them on the floor to create a pattern . . . you wouldn’t believe how tricky this part was!!!  I ended up being a few blocks short so we had to make a run to the fabric store to buy an 1/4 of a yard of the denim fabric.DSCN1375

The hardest part was keeping my grandma’s little dog Tiger off the blocks.DSCN1383

After two straight days of sewing I finally got it all finished today.  Grant and Tiger enjoyed snuggling up with it on the couch.DSCN1392

Here’s a peek at the final project . . . I am really happy with the way it turned out.  As you can see from the pictures it required several hours of trimming around all the blocks once all the sewing was done.  DSCN1400DSCN1396

1 comment:

Julie said...

Love it Kelly! They make great baby gifts too because they are so soft and fun to put on the floor for play time!