July 22, 2010

Texas {Mini} Vacation

Jeff had to be in Michigan this week for work so it seemed like the perfect time for Grant and I to head south to Texas to visit my friend Kristen and her family.  We loaded up the car and left early Sunday morning.  The trip took a little longer than expected.  I guess it wasn’t a good idea to let Grant get a  Dr. Pepper slush first thing.   It gave him quite the tummy ache.  I think we managed to stop at just about every Stuckey’s between Wichita and Oklahoma City.  Luckily after lunch he was feeling better and we made it the rest of the way in record time.

On Monday morning we headed to Arlington to the Pier One Clearance Store.  After driving for nearly an hour we were shocked to find out that the store had closed.  Of course when I looked online the day before there wasn’t any mention of this.  That didn’t stop us from doing more shopping though.  Our next stop was at Sam Moon’s.  If you’ve never been to Sam Moon’s boy are you missing out.  It is a jewelry and handbag paradise.  They just built a new one north of Ft. Worth in Keller, TX that is right on I-35 so it was much more convenient than the Dallas location and not nearly as busy.

I only bought a few things this trip . . .I think I was most excited with my new white watch. 

I never wear a watch but I’ve seen this style at several boutiques in Wichita and when we were in Michigan.  You may even remember that Sandra Bullock wore one just like it in The Blind Side.   Every one that I’ve seen has been between $20-$25 so you can imagine how excited I was when I found the exact same one for $9.95.  Obviously I needed more than one so on our way home we stopped at Sam Moon’s again and I bought a black one!!!  I also picked one up for my friend Diane as a little {belated} birthday treat. 

On Tuesday we hit a few more shops and then Kristen and I took Grant and Gracie to the pool for the majority of the afternoon.  Grant had a blast on the diving board.  I bet he dove into the pool 50 times.

I know he’s an amazing kid . . . but I had NO idea he could  walk on water!!!!   DSCN1469DSCN1472DSCN1480DSCN1474   DSCN1478        DSCN1481

It was also Maddie’s 12th birthday on Tuesday.  She got several new accessories for her horse so late that evening we drove out to the ranch where they keep their horses and she tried them out.  Grant also got to ride a horse for the first time.  The only problem was I didn’t think to pack him any jeans so he {reluctantly} wore a pair of Maddie’s and a pair of her friends boots.  It was pretty dark by the time they rounded up the horses and got them saddled up so my pictures didn’t turn out great. 

Grant and Cabo

DSCN1506  DSCN1490  DSCN1504 DSCN1502

I have to admit I was a little nervous about him riding.  I had a bad horse experience as a kid and it has kind of stuck with me.  At first they led the horse around the arena with Grant on it and then once he had the hang of it he was all on his own.  Luckily Cabo is a REALLY old horse and was more interested in walking over to get a drink of water than galloping. 

On Wednesday we did a little more shopping and spent the afternoon relaxing and watching a movie.  Then later that evening we drove back to Arlington to celebrate Maddie’s friends birthday at the Traildust Steakhouse.  Grant had a great time.  It didn’t hurt that he was the only boy in the group along with 5 very cute 12 year old girls!!!  The restaurant has a 2-story metal slide right in the middle.  The kids spent the majority of the night going down it.  They also had fun on the dance floor.  Again the lighting was bad so my pictures didn’t turn out great.DSCN1525DSCN1516

{The famous slide}

 DSCN1510 DSCN1511 DSCN1512       

We had lots of fun and were sad when we had to leave Thursday morning.  Neither one of us was looking forward to the long drive home. 

Thanks again Wood’s family for a fun week!!!  We really wish you guys lived closer.  We can’t wait to see you in October when you come back for Arkalalah.

1 comment:

Jessica B said...

Looks like you guys had a great trip. I love your new blog look. It has probably looked like this for awhile but I am just getting caught up. :)