November 23, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Little Like Christmas

A few weeks ago several of our neighbors began putting up their outdoor Christmas lights. Jeff and I of course thought it was crazy because our mums were still in full bloom and we even had the pumpkins still sitting out. It's hard for me to get the Christmas spirit until after we have enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner. Then yesterday I began thinking about how unbelievably cold it has been the past few years when we have been out in the snow and wind trying to put our lights up after Thanksgiving and I decided maybe that was even crazier. So yesterday afternoon I bit the bullet and got down the lights and began lining the driveway. For the past few years all of the neighbors on our block have lined the streets and driveways with white lights. It looks so festive when you drive down our street.

















I still have cute snowflake lights to go up on the front porch, garland, wreaths, etc. . . but most of what's left is a two person job and Jeff can't do anything like that for about a week now so I may have to enlist the help of my family when they come up on Thursday for Thanksgiving. Hopefully on Thanksgiving everyone will be able to overlook the Christmas lights outside and enjoy the fall decorations that are still up inside.






















In other news, I have a few cute stories from school last week.

1. On Monday one of my students brought me a bunch of stapled together sheets of paper full of short vowel words that he had wrote. I was reading along and got to the list of short i words and there was the word "bitch". I guess he proved he knows what sound short i makes.

2. On Tuesday we began our Native American unit. I always read several stories to the kids throughout this week and many of them are indian legends. When I asked if anyone knew what a legend was one of my little boys raised his hand and told me that a legend was a really nice shopping area in Kansas City. Not exactly the kind of legend we were going to talk about!

3. On Wednesday I found out that yet another one of my little boys was being picked on by some other kids on the bus. Long story short, all of the boys were interviewed by the principal and then I got the report to read. Come to find out my boy was calling the other boys "fart weiners" and "butt waxers". We all got a pretty big kick out of those names in my hallway. I guess he knew they were all bad words so he just put them together to make it sound worse.

Gosh I can't wait to go back to school tomorrow . . .

No comments: