September 2, 2008

A Comfy Place To Sit

Back in early June I was out walking early one morning and spotted a big floral chair at a house in my neighborhood in their garage sale. I've been wanting a big comfy chair to put in my classroom and got the big idea to go back later that day and see how much they wanted for it. It was priced at $50 and I offered $25 but the owner informed me it was a Broyhill (which I could have cared less about) and she told me she couldn't take less than $30. I thought that sounded fair enough so I wrote a her check.

Before I tell you next part it is important to let you know that this lady was not super friendly and wouldn't help me load the chair into my car, so I had to go home and get Miles. As we were loading it, a reloadable giftcard from All Star Sports fell out. I was going to just throw it away but Miles really wanted to keep it because he was sure it still had money left on it. Later that week I took the kids to All Star to play video games and Miles remembered that we had that card. Believe it or not, there was $25 on the card. Now I know this is going to sound awful, but had the lady been nicer I would have probably given it back, but I didn't . . . So, my chair really only cost me $5.

So, I was so excited about my chair but hated the floral print. It was the same print as what is on this couch. Sorry, I should have taken a before picture of the chair.











I called around to a few upholstery stores here in Wichita and the first place quoted me $800 plus the cost of fabric. Another place quoted me $350 plus $32 a yard for fabric (I needed 7 yards so that's an additional $224). I was beginning to wonder what I had gotten myself into because I would have never guessed it would be that expensive to recover the chair. I even bought a slipcover at Target, but I just couldn't get it to fit right so I returned it. A few days later I decided to check the internet and see if there was anyone in Winfield that did upholstery because things seem to be cheaper down there for some reason. Lucky for me there was one person and I called and she quoted me $125 plus the cost of fabric, which I bought at JoAnn Fabric for $28 total. It took quite a while for her to get my chair done, but here is the finished product. My mom and dad brought it up to me over the weekend and we put it in my classroom. It ended up only costing $117 plus the $28 for fabric. Can you belive it????

I thought the denim with red trim would be cute and it I ever get tired of it, which I can't imagine I will, I could always put it in Grant's room. Now I have a comfy place to sit and read stories to my kids at school and my kids have a comfy place to sit while they are at the listening center.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so resourceful. I love the chair. The colors look perfect for a classroom. I would have felt the same way about the gift card thing. Take that you grouchy lady with the "Broyhill" chair. haha