September 20, 2008

Saturday Morning Soccer

So this morning Grant finally had his first soccer game of the season. The past two weekends the games have been cancelled due to rain.

Soccer is kind of a new sport for me because I never played as a child and Miles never showed any intrest in playing when he was younger. We have had Grant involved in sports (football, basketball & baseball) since he was about 3 years old and this is the first year that he has shown any intrest in soccer. So Jeff and I decided to just sign him up to play through the Maize Recreation Commission which is far less competive than any of the other leagues around town and it only last for 8 weeks. When I filled out the enrollment form it asked what grade he was in and I of course marked 2nd. Grant was very excited when he found out he got to be on his friend Alec's team. Alec's mom Becky is the counselor in my building and she and her husband Andy are some of our good friends. What came as a shock to both Becky and I was that it is a K-2 league and they would be playing 4 on 4 with no goalie and no keeping score. Had we known this we would have probably signed Grant up to play somewhere else, but we told him that this was just a learning year and that it was important for him to just have fun and learn some of the fundamentals.
So back to this morning. On the way to the game Grant asked me if I would keep score in my head. He ended up scoring at least 10 goals, if not more. I lost track because I was busy trying to take pictures and talking to other parents. He claims he scored 14 goals???? From some of the pictures you will notice that he is much larger than most of the other kids out there. He is a very strong competive little boy but he did a great job passing the ball to other kids so that they all had a chance to try and score. I was very proud of him!!!


Check out Grant's fancy footwork!!!



Does it really seem fair for Grant to be playing against this little guy?




Grant and his buddy Alec were all smiles after the game.

No comments: