April 16, 2010

New Classroom {Sneak Peek}

Today I got the first official peek at my new classroom and I have to admit it left me with mixed emotions.  As you can see by the pictures it is a very odd shaped room.  It’s kind of like a trapezoid!!!  It was not originally designed for K-1 students and unfortunately very few renovations were done to make it suitable for small children.  There is also very little storage so I’m stressing out about where I am going to keep all of my stuff.  On a positive note it does have nice new carpet and freshly painted walls.

This is the view from the doorway in the hall.  The back windows are a little deceiving because they don’t actually look directly outside.  They look into a hallway that has exterior windows.  Crazy, huh!!!  At least I have a glimpse of sunlight.  Several of my friends have no exterior windows.  Theirs just look out into the hallway.  So sorry Diane :(DSCN0388

Here’s another view from the hallway door of the front of my room.  The door that you see in the middle of the back wall leads to a pod that I will share with the 3 other teachers on my team.  There is additional storage in there that we are planning to use to store items like paper, textbooks, craft supplies, etc . . .  My Promethean board will be mounted on the flat empty wall by the door as well.  I’m planning to buy a fun zebra or leopard print rug to put in front of it.DSCN0391

This is a picture of the storage area.  It is all along the back wall. It’s a little hard to tell from the picture, but most of the gorgeous maroon trim is completely missing from the shelving.  They say it’s on a list to be repaired before school starts,  but I am not holding my breath.DSCN0389

Ok, it’s time to be positive because I have to move at the end of next month whether I like it or not.  So here’s my grand plan. . .   I’m going to go with a fun jungle theme with lots of leopard & zebra print decor.  May not look great with all the red cabinets, but oh well!!! A friend of mine’s mom is going to paint me lots of cute monkeys to hang around on the bulletin boards and I am going to look into buying some monkey/jungle wall decals to spruce the space up a bit.  Once I get everything moved in and organized I’m sure it will feel like home.  It’s just a little overwhelming trying to imagine the final product.  Wish me luck!!!

No comments: