April 9, 2009

Analogies

Tonight Grant got a phone call from his buddy Deriq asking if he would like to come home with him after school tomorrow night and spend the night. Jeff and I could only hear Grant's end of the conversation and in the beginning it sounded like he was telling Deriq "maybe" because his other friend Nick might be calling to have him over. This was the first we had heard of anything about Nick or Deriq so Jeff and I both started whispering to Grant that he should tell Deriq "yes" he would like to come over. After talking with Deriq's mom we got everything planned and now Jeff and I have an entire Friday night to ourselves.

After the phone call I began to explain to Grant why it wasn't polite to say "maybe" to someone and I was interrupted by Jeff who somehow thought it would be better to use an analogy. He told Grant "a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush". Grant got kind of a puzzled look on his face. Jeff did his best to explain the analogy and then asked Grant if he understood. Grant's response was "the bird in the hand must be the victim". Obviously, he didn't get it!!!

Jeff then spent the next 20 minutes giving Grant more analogies and seeing if he could figure any of them out. I don't think he got a single one but boy did we all laugh.

So, (hopefully) Jeff learned that analogies probably don't work well on an 8 year old and Grant never really did understand why it wasn't polite to say "maybe" to a friend. I guess I'll have to give my little speech tomorrow on the way to school when I know he's listening and Jeff's not around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loving it! Great story.